Saturday, April 9, 2011

Juice, weekends and a slow combustion stove.

Hello dear friends :)

We are currently enjoying beautiful weather, my favorite time of year. I've already told you that before, though. Temperatures are about 20-25 degrees Celsius. Which means it's perfect for a jumper in the mornings ;) But most important, this time of year is when we start lighting the fires. We decided it's still not cold enough for our big, beauiful heater. The one in the loungeroom with a lovely, big door that you can see the fire through. But I must admit that it does put out a lot of heat and we really don't need it yet. (We most definitely will need it in a month or so, though. So I'm not too sad about it.) So we lit our old, old slow combustion stove. I love this thing. It makes everything cooked in it taste so much better. You can leave a roast in there all day and when you take it out, it's all falling apart and perfect. Yum... I love this part of winter! Except for the chopping wood bit..
I can't find a picture of ours, so I Googled it. I only found one photo that's similar. Not exactly the same but similar.


Last year sometime, Ayala was sick all the time. She got every single cold or flu that went around and was never well. She was also tired all the time and no matter how much she slept, she never got over it. The doctors thought it was chronic fatigue, but I don't think they ever proved anything. So, while we wasited for them to make a decision, Mum bought a juicer and started juicing all the fruit and vegies she could find. This was to get all the vitamins possible without taking all the vitamin tablets around. For months we had at least 1 glass of juice a day. Some of the juices were really yummy, others weren't. We took a break for a while, then about a week ago, when everyone was sick, Mum said, "That's it! Juice time again!" So she's been making all different variations. They all have apple, carrot and chilli in them, but they often have other things too, like cucumber and celery. The not so nice ones have spinach or chicory in them. This morning's one was really nice, but it felt like you were a fire breathing dragon afterwards! I think there was 1 too many chillis in there... Burn that cold out! It's good ;)

I love my weekends... Slow, steady, home weekends. Usually. My weekends consist of feeding poddies, a bit of housework, studying, maybe cooking, etc. Lately it's been helping Dad build the shed. But no matter how slow your weekend is, before you know it, it's Monday again. :P How do you guys spend your weekends?

I've got to go, enjoy your weekend!
Sarah

4 comments:

Kate Lynn said...

Love the post, Sarah! And in answer to your question, I spend my weekends this way. Friday night:Working Saturday: My day off and I usually spend it with Jon, shopping or just hanging out with each other's families...maybe get dinner out or something along those lines. Then Sunday morning is church! And Sunday night I work again. Not too exciting, but I love my Saturdays with Jon!

SarahMCF said...

Thanks, Kate!
Your weekends sound pretty good :) I don't usually have to work on weekends (which I love!). How many hours a week do you work?

Kate Lynn said...

I'm scheduled for 36.5 hours a week, and I wish I had my weekends off. But being a waitress, you have to work when everyone else wants to eat out. :)

SarahMCF said...

Wow! Anything in the hospitality industry is really rotten hours, for that reason. That you have to work when other people want to go out.